Hey to everybody and hope this finds you well. It’s been almost 3.5 months since I left the U.S. and said goodbye to my wife, who is also my best friend, and I can say that I was ready to get back to her the moment I stepped out of that hanger at Fort Campbell. A husband and wife are not meant to be apart like this, but thus is the nature of my job.
As for what I’m doing here in Kandahar (Afghanistan), that’s on a completely different note. My unit is tasked with providing aerial reconnaissance (since its an aviation unit) to pretty much all of Kandahar Province. My job is to provide intelligence support for the pilots. That’s about all that I’m willing or rather, allowed to say about that.
I’ve learned a number of things since I’ve been here and have compiled a few of them into the list below:
1. Calling your wife everyday is a great thing no matter what others may say. It helps to pass the time and keep you going.
2. Make the most out of the time you are with people because you never know when you won’t see them again. This is direct reference to my friend John Runkle who gave his life for our Nation on 26 May 2011.
3. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. Once again 26 May brought out a few heroes that aren’t with us any more.
4. The sooner you accept that A. somebody is firing a rocket at you and B. there isn’t a damn thing you can do about it, you will sleep better at night.
5. I really miss my wife, are you starting to see a trend?
6. Afghanistan makes the bad part of Birmingham look like a great place to visit
7. I miss grass. period.
8. I’m never drinking another bottled water ever again once i get back.
9. Beer is sorely missed.
10. Armed Forces Network TV really blows. If I see one more “Army Values are My Values” commercial I probably will throw a brick at the TV.
11. America is really the greatest place on Earth. The foreigners over here don’t see it that way. Maybe its becasue they’ve never been to our Nation.. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that America is second best.
Well I hope that was insightful, but the big takeaway is that I really miss Mrs. Erica O. DeSpain. I hope that everybody has a great day and continues being great Americans.
Hi! I’m a proud Army wife and mom to two little girls (ages 1 and 4), and I love sharing our lives with you. I blog all about motherhood, our time in the military, our travels, our meals, my fitness journey, my fashion favorites, and so much more. I truly enjoy sharing it all! I can’t get enough of birthday cake ice cream, weekend sunrise runs, or making my girls belly-laugh. I write almost daily about my family’s lives, and though I like to keep things light, I also share the messy parts too. Welcome! So glad to have you around. I’m active on Facebook and Instagram and would love to communicate with you there!