Well hello there to my old readers and possibly to new ones! I’ve been missing my blog so much over the last few months, but I just couldn’t seem to muster up the creative energy to give it a whirl again. One of the main reasons that I’ve loved blogging over the last few years is because this site has been my form of a journal that’s kept track of life’s highs and lows. So much has been going on in my life throughout the last year, so I’m ready to get back to occasional documenting.
Some highlights since my last post in September (shameful!):
1. In May I wrapped up my first year of teaching at West Creek High School. I taught five sections of American Literature to juniors and one section of an ACT Prep course. I honestly love what I teach.
2. I finished up a year as the head cheerleading coach, but I’ve let go of that position because of our sweet Hadley coming!
3. I spontaneously flew to Miami to visit two to my bridesmaids during my fall break. So much fun!
4. Jamie and I met my best friend Ashley in Savannah, GA last November to run the Rock N Roll marathon. Ashley did her first half, I did my second, and Jamie ran the full, qualifying for either the 2013 or 2014 Boston Marathon.
5. Jamie, Teddy, and I drove 16 hours to Austin, TX to spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws. We love Austin (who doesn’t?)!
6. My sister and Josh came to visit us for three days back in December, and it was the best visit. So happy they were there to celebrate Jamie’s birthday!
7. Jamie and I finally went out and bought my first new car! I’m absolutely over the top in love with my JEEP! Goodbye celica!
8. Jamie and I went and played in Orlando for five days! We went to all four Disney parks and both Universal parks. We had the time our lives and highly suggest an “adult only” trip to Disney if you get the chance. We were like big kids all week and hardly stopped laughing the whole time. It was SO fun, and we are both so glad we knocked this trip out when we did because now we’ve got a baby on the way!
9. In January, Jamie was selected to deploy for 12 months to Afghanistan to serve as a General’s Aide. He left
my heart on the floor on February 27, six weeks after being notified and 54 weeks after returning from his first 10-month Afghani deployment.
10. On March 7th, two pinks lines showed up on a pregnancy test. I was four weeks pregnant and due on November 14th with DeSpain baby #1.
11. One of my best friends Mary Elizabeth got engaged! I was so glad I could surprise her at her SURPRISE engagement party!
12. I got the chance to watch my little brother David graduate cum laude from Birmingham Southern College back in May. He moved into his gorgeous new apartment and started his first big boy job 40 hours after walking across that stage. SO proud of him.
13. Since Jamie left for Afghanistan, I drove 19 hours to New Hampshire with my best friend from work, Jessica. She was planning to spend five weeks with her family in her hometown, and since we’re both living the deployed spouse lifestyle, she asked me to join and I happily accepted! I fell in LOVE with New Hampshire during a Rachel’s Challenge trip in 2011, and was so excited to go back.
14. My two best high school friends came up to visit me in Clarksville, TN for a long weekend and shared with me the moment I found out that a precious little girl would be entering my family. My mom and one of my best friend’s moms were also there to celebrate with us!
We are seriously over the MOON about having a daughter. Her name is Hadley Lynn.
15. I just got back from a week in Florida with four of the greatest friends in the world. It was perfect.
I’m excited to do some back-tracking and elaborate more on some of the aforementioned topics in future posts. One subject a reader won’t find much about on my blog is my teaching job. I absolutely adore my students, my co-workers, and the subjects that I teach, but blogging about my job means blogging about students, which I find very tasteless. Just a note as to why you won’t find much about my life M-F in Mrs. DeSpain’s high school world! 🙂
I’m off on a road trip today with my mom to visit some family outside of Harrisburg, PA. This will probably be our last opportunity for a road trip just she and I (and Ted of course!), so I jumped at the chance.
Have a happy and safe Fourth of July!
Hi! I’m Erica, and I absolutely adore sharing my life on this website with you! I come here almost daily to blab about all of the things related to being a regular wife and mother in today’s ever-evolving society. I share about our new home, what’s on our kitchen table, what we’re hanging in our closets, where we’re traveling to next, my crazy 5 a.m. work outs, how I make time for girlfriends, our faith, and much more. We always have a lot of balls in the air and somewhat thrive on the chaos. I believe in the power of story-telling as a form of inspiration and entertainment, so I’m here to do both! I was born and raised in north Alabama and recently re-planted roots here again after my husband transitioned out of the Army (he is now in the Reserve and it’s going so well!) I’m a super proud mom to two little girls (ages 5 and 2) who seem to be the stars of the show around here (for good reason – they’re pretty great!) I’m so glad you found me and are here reading! I hope we can get to know each other here on the blog as well as Facebook and/or Instagram. xoxo