I spent a lot of time researching for and creating my baby registry last summer. I was thankful that our loved ones were throwing us baby showers because I knew that our tiny little human was going to need quite a bit of “stuff” throughout her first year. I would guess that 75% of the gifts I received came straight off my registry, and I was so glad because that was the stuff I assumed I needed. The other 25% consisted of all kinds of things, many of which have turned out to be some of my favorite baby necessities or luxuries.
Since registries aren’t made just for fun, I highly suggest always considering shopping from a registry first. If you are in the mood to add on something a little extra or have a little fun with your gift, consider one or more of the following. A soon-to-be mama in your life will be thanking you later!
1. Fun baskets – A couple friends “wrapped” their gifts in baskets that I could keep instead of gift bags, and they’ve both come in really handy! One basket keeps all of Hadley’s stuffed animals, and the other stores all of her blankets. One friend even had it monogrammed to match her room! Throughout the last year, we’ve purchased two more baskets just to keep ons and ends in. Very practical gift! (We really like this one that we bought from Target.)
2. Freshly Picked Baby Moccasins – If I hadn’t won a pair of these adorable shoes from a giveaway on Jessie’s blog, I would have never discovered how absolutely, positively incredible they are. Though I would normally never spend $60+ on a pair of baby shoes since they grow out of them so fast, these shoes are worth every penny! I got Hadley these in a size three when she was wearing size three shoes. They fit perfectly! Fast forward a few months, and even though she’s now wearing a size five, these baby mocs still fit her (with room to grow)! I cannot figure out how she’s outgrown four other pairs of shoes since, but these still fit like a glove. It baffles me! Two more perks: They don’t fall off her feet (ever) and she walks better in them than any other pair she’s worn. Get them! (I’m so glad I got her a neutral pair).
3. Diaper Pail Refills – If a shower recipient is registered for and plans to use a diaper pail, grab a few inserts to throw in with your gift. We go through about three inserts (give or take) per month, and even though these inserts aren’t too pricey, they sure do add up on top of everything else disposable that babies need. We were gifted enough to last us the first couple of months, and it was so nice to just reach into the closet and grab a new one each time we needed it. I’m not sure why, but I really dislike buying these things. Just kind of a pain. The diaper pail is definitely a necessity for us, but the inserts are still a pest. (We are loyal to Target’s off-brand.)
4. Wubbanub pacifier – Similar to #3, if it looks like the mama-to-be is going to be offering her babe a pacifier, gift her a Wubbanub. One of my girlfriends threw in the inchworm wubbanub with her gift, and we started offering it to Hadley when she was around three weeks old. She loved it so much that we went on Amazon and ordered two more! As she’s grown, her reasons for loving it have changed. At first, she liked stroking it and feeling the different textures. Next, she liked that she could pick it up easily and put it in her mouth by herself. The list goes on and on! We were going to take them away from her when she turned one (a couple days ago), but we just don’t have the heart to do it yet. Great gift. (This one is still Hadley’s BFF.)
5. Pampers Extra Protection overnight diapers – We’ve tried a few brands, and these are the best overnight diapers out there! They’re a little hard to find, but they’re such a great buy. Hadley has never had an overnight leak, and I give all the credit to these well-made diapers. New moms frequently receive diapers as gifts, but overnight diapers would be a real treat to many! (We always order ours from Amazon.)
6. Fun socks – Maybe I’m the only one, but we didn’t start putting shoes on Hadley routinely until she was about seven months old. We didn’t see a point since she wasn’t standing. Since she didn’t wear shoes much, we had fun putting all kinds of fun socks on her to match her outfits. I didn’t register for any socks, so I’m glad that several of my thoughtful friends knew to throw some in their gifts! (I love this cute set with the bows.)
7. Non-slip Bath Mat – This one is pretty self-explanatory, so I don’t know why I never thought to register for it. We started using one in Hadley’s bathtub once we stopped using her baby tub. (This is a great gender neutral one.)
8. Stroller/Car seat archway toy – So I actually did register for this at the last minute after seeing someone else using one, and it definitely tops the list as one of the best baby gifts we received. We’ve never had issues with Hadley hating her car seat, and I give a lot of credit to the arch. It’s mesmerized her from the first time we used it (about four weeks old), and we used it until it bit the dust around eight months in. The one pictured above folds up nicely and traveled with us in my suitcase each of the three times we flew with her. I didn’t want to imagine driving around without it! (Here’s the one we love!)
Happy gift giving!
Hi! I’m Erica, and I absolutely adore sharing my life on this website with you! I come here almost daily to blab about all of the things related to being a regular wife and mother in today’s ever-evolving society. I share about our new home, what’s on our kitchen table, what we’re hanging in our closets, where we’re traveling to next, my crazy 5 a.m. work outs, how I make time for girlfriends, our faith, and much more. We always have a lot of balls in the air and somewhat thrive on the chaos. I believe in the power of story-telling as a form of inspiration and entertainment, so I’m here to do both! I was born and raised in north Alabama and recently re-planted roots here again after my husband transitioned out of the Army (he is now in the Reserve and it’s going so well!) I’m a super proud mom to two little girls (ages 5 and 2) who seem to be the stars of the show around here (for good reason – they’re pretty great!) I’m so glad you found me and are here reading! I hope we can get to know each other here on the blog as well as Facebook and/or Instagram. xoxo