3. Plan your hotels & mealtime stops ahead of time
Great system: We use our pantry and our master bathroom as our loading zones and keep these areas off limits to the packers/movers. About a week before the packers arrive, we start setting things in those areas that we want to take with us instead of let the packers pack them up. We don’t like actually packing them too early because we still need things easily accessible while we’re living in the house (I hate living out of a packed suitcase or a box).
- two outfits per day for each of us for the number of days we estimate until the truck arrives (you never know how delayed the truck arrival is going to be)
- all toiletries, bathroom stuff, and cleaners
- a few rolls of paper towels for cleaning
- fireproof box
- pet needs (bowls, leash, food, dog bed)
- a couple rolls of toilet paper for the future house
- all non-perishable food
- propane tank
- broom and dust pan
- all kinds of bags (ziplock, trash bags, etc.)
- all luggage
10. Break down your boxes and give them away for free on Craigslist
For more PCS stories & tips, click here.