How to Paint Trim White
- White trim paint (we used Dutch Boy’s Ultra White in a satin finish)
- Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 White Primer for All Surfaces (one gallon was enough to paint our whole home)
- PURDY 2-inch angle brush
- Painter’s Tape (We are SOLD OUT to FrogTape! It’s the best of the best of the best. If you allow it to fully dry before you pull it up, nothing will get through it.)
- White caulk & caulk gun
- Retractable Utility Knife
- Tape off the floor well. If you’re working on a carpeted surface, try to push the tape down underneath the baseboard as far as you can.
- Using your Purdy brush, apply one thin coat of the Zinsser primer. Allow time for the primer to fully dry.
- Apply two coats of Ultra White trim paint allowing time between for each coat to fully dry (I know from experience that the paint will peel off easier if you don’t allow it to fully dry).
- Use a caulk gun to repair any areas of the trim that have pulled away from the wall. I prefer to use my bare pointer finger to smooth out the caulk.
- Use your straight edge to cut the tape away from the wall. Skipping this step may result in the tape taking some of the paint with it!
- If there are any visible areas that need to be retouched, use a joint compound applicator to press down against the carpet towards the baseboard and touch up those spots with a small brush.
- It’s obvious that paint gets all over the wall using this method, but this isn’t an issue if you plan to paint your walls. If you don’t plan to paint your walls, just tape off the top of the baseboard as well.
- If you’re using a brush that’s worn out then you’re going to have brush marks like no tomorrow. I typically use my brush for three rooms and then reserve it ONLY for touch-up jobs. One time I used a worn out brush to paint my sunroom windows, and I ended up having to do a fourth coat because the brush strokes were so bad. Never again!
If you have any additional questions, feel free to let me know! I’d be happy to help. Happy painting!
Want to see our entire flipped home tour? We’ve painted nearly every square inch of our home, plus many more updates! Click here to see!
To see our exterior home transformation (trim, windows, doors, and porch), click here.
Whimsical September Email List
Hi! I’m Erica, and I absolutely adore sharing my life on this website with you! I come here almost daily to blab about all of the things related to being a regular wife and mother in today’s ever-evolving society. I share about our new home, what’s on our kitchen table, what we’re hanging in our closets, where we’re traveling to next, my crazy 5 a.m. work outs, how I make time for girlfriends, our faith, and much more. We always have a lot of balls in the air and somewhat thrive on the chaos. I believe in the power of story-telling as a form of inspiration and entertainment, so I’m here to do both! I was born and raised in north Alabama and recently re-planted roots here again after my husband transitioned out of the Army (he is now in the Reserve and it’s going so well!) I’m a super proud mom to two little girls (ages 5 and 2) who seem to be the stars of the show around here (for good reason – they’re pretty great!) I’m so glad you found me and are here reading! I hope we can get to know each other here on the blog as well as Facebook and/or Instagram. xoxo