Fri-daaaayyyy! Hooray! Jamie has the entire week off next week before he starts his Commanders course, so today kicks off a whole lot of family time. 🙂
I’m popping in today to share our family pizza dough recipe that we’ve worked hard to perfect throughout the last few years. I’ve mentioned on this blog no less than five times that homemade pizzas are totally our jam, and coming up with new flavors and topping combinations is something we thoroughly enjoy. Our latest creation was topped with pesto and chicken and did a disappearing act in our bellies by the time kitchen clean-up rolled around. If you’re looking for an at-home dinner idea this weekend, give this dough recipe a whirl, post a picture of your creation on Instagram, and tag me (@WhimsicalSeptember)! I’d love love love to see what ingredients you throw together.
- One packet (1/4 ounce) of active dry yeast (yellow packet - comes in a strip of three)
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- TO PREPARE PIZZA:
- 2 tbsp white cornmeal
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic salt to taste
- 6 tbsp pesto (3 tbsp per pizza)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (1 cup per pizza)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (1 cup per pizza)
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Pour yeast and sugar into a small bowl with the warm water & let sit for five minutes.
- In large bowl combine flour and salt.
- Add olive oil to wet mixture and then add wet mixture to dry mixture.
- Stir ingredients together and then knead dough by hand until a soft dough ball forms. Continue adding 1 tbsp of flour at a time to the dough until it is no longer sticking to your fingers and forms a soft ball.
- Tightly cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow dough to rise at room temperature for at least one hour. The dough will double in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Split dough ball in two.
- On a surface covered in cornmeal, roll out the first dough ball until thin. Each dough ball should yield a 12" diameter pizza.
- Lightly brush each pizza crust with olive oil and dust with garlic salt.
- Top with pesto (3 tbsp), shredded chicken (one cup), cheese (one cup), and then finally the Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is lightly brown.
Note: I’ve used both a rotisserie chicken as well as shredded baked chicken for this pizza, and both were easy and delicious!
Hi! I’m a proud Army wife and mom to two little girls (ages 1 and 4), and I love sharing our lives with you. I blog all about motherhood, our time in the military, our travels, our meals, my fitness journey, my fashion favorites, and so much more. I truly enjoy sharing it all! I can’t get enough of birthday cake ice cream, weekend sunrise runs, or making my girls belly-laugh. I write almost daily about my family’s lives, and though I like to keep things light, I also share the messy parts too. Welcome! So glad to have you around. I’m active on Facebook and Instagram and would love to communicate with you there!