This Midnight Pasta recipe is quick, easy, versatile, healthy, and filling: all things that make a perfect meal! Scroll to the bottom for the complete recipe.
A couple years ago when I set a goal to get back to my pre pregnancy weight, I followed a strict diet of complex carbs, veggies, fruit, healthy fats, and protein. This formula, combined with jogging a few miles a few times a week, helped the weight slowly but steadily slide off.
One of the recipes that we’ve kept in our rotation is Midnight Pasta, a recipe introduced to me by a close friend last year while we were vacationing together. Jamie and I both thoroughly enjoyed her meal, and I realized that it fit the formula that helped me lose and maintain my weight loss (that is until my sweet baby #2 came along, but I digress). 😉
Nights that we make Midnight Pasta usually aren’t planned; They usually happen spontaneously when we want a night off from meat and/or only have a few short minutes to whip something together (which feels like almost every night these days!)
It’s light, filling, and versatile depending on what veggies are on hand.
Midnight Pasta Recipe
- 1 lb box of whole grain pasta (we prefer spaghetti or penne)
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 diced large onion (white, yellow, or red work)
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- basil or parsley to garnish
- Boil water and begin cooking pasta.
- In medium-sized skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat and add minced garlic and onion. Cook until onion is fragrant and translucent (about 3-4 minutes.)
- Add red pepper to skillet and cook two minutes.
- Add handfuls of spinach and cook until spinach is wilted, stirring vegetables continuously. Set aside.
- Remove pasta from heat, drain, and return to pot. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and then add the skillet of vegetables.
- Add oregano, salt, and pepper. Combine well.
- Serve and garnish with basil or parsley.
Fun fact: I’ve read that this recipe originally got its name from chefs who claimed that after a day/night full of preparing fancy meals, all they had the energy to prepare for themselves once they got home was this quick but tasty meal.
Looking for more pasta recipes?
This easy, cheesy chicken and egg noodle dish is savory and a total crowd pleaser (even for picky little ones!)
Hi! I’m Erica, and I absolutely adore sharing my life on this website with you! I come here almost daily to blab about all of the things related to being a regular wife and mother in today’s ever-evolving society. I share about our new home, what’s on our kitchen table, what we’re hanging in our closets, where we’re traveling to next, my crazy 5 a.m. work outs, how I make time for girlfriends, our faith, and much more. We always have a lot of balls in the air and somewhat thrive on the chaos. I believe in the power of story-telling as a form of inspiration and entertainment, so I’m here to do both! I was born and raised in north Alabama and recently re-planted roots here again after my husband transitioned out of the Army (he is now in the Reserve and it’s going so well!) I’m a super proud mom to two little girls (ages 5 and 2) who seem to be the stars of the show around here (for good reason – they’re pretty great!) I’m so glad you found me and are here reading! I hope we can get to know each other here on the blog as well as Facebook and/or Instagram. xoxo