A couple years ago when I set a goal to get back to my pre pregnancy weight, I followed a strict diet of complex carbs, veggies, fruit, healthy fats, and protein. This formula, combined with jogging a few miles a few times a week, helped the weight slowly but steadily slide off.
One of the recipes that we’ve kept in our rotation is Midnight Pasta, a recipe introduced to me by a close friend last year while we were vacationing together. Jamie and I both thoroughly enjoyed her meal, and I realized that it fit the formula that helped me lose and maintain my weight loss (that is until my sweet baby #2 came along, but I digress). 😉
Nights that we make Midnight Pasta usually aren’t planned; They usually happen spontaneously when we want a night off from meat and/or only have a few short minutes to whip something together (which feels like almost every night these days!)
It’s light, filling, and versatile depending on what veggies are on hand.
- 1 lb box of whole grain pasta (we prefer spaghetti or penne)
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 diced large onion (white, yellow, or red work)
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- basil or parsley to garnish
- Boil water and begin cooking pasta.
- In medium-sized skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat and add minced garlic and onion. Cook until onion is fragrant and translucent (about 3-4 minutes.)
- Add red pepper to skillet and cook two minutes.
- Add handfuls of spinach and cook until spinach is wilted, stirring vegetables continuously. Set aside.
- Remove pasta from heat, drain, and return to pot. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and then add the skillet of vegetables.
- Add oregano, salt, and pepper. Combine well.
- Serve and garnish with basil or parsley.
Fun fact: I’ve read that this recipe originally got its name from chefs who claimed that after a day/night full of preparing fancy meals, all they had the energy to prepare for themselves once they got home was this quick but tasty meal.
Hi! I’m Erica, and I absolutely adore sharing my life on this website with you! I come here almost daily to blab about all of the things related to being a regular wife and mother is today’s ever-evolving society. I share about our new home, what’s on our kitchen table, what we’re hanging in our closets, where we’re traveling to next, my crazy 5 a.m. work outs, how I make time for girlfriends, our faith, and much more. We always have a lot of balls in the air and somewhat thrive on the chaos. I believe in the power of story-telling as a form of inspiration and entertainment, so I’m here to do both! I was born and raised in north Alabama and recently re-planted roots here again after my husband transitioned out of the Army (he is now in the Reserve and it’s going so well!) I’m a super proud mom to two little girls (ages 4 and 2) who seem to be the stars of the show around here (for good reason – they’re pretty great!) I’m so glad you found me and are here reading! I hope we can get to know each other here on the blog as well as Facebook and/or Instagram. xoxo