A couple years ago when I set a goal to get back to my pre pregnancy weight, I followed a strict diet of complex carbs, veggies, fruit, healthy fats, and protein. This formula, combined with jogging a few miles a few times a week, helped the weight slowly but steadily slide off.
One of the recipes that we’ve kept in our rotation is Midnight Pasta, a recipe introduced to me by a close friend last year while we were vacationing together. Jamie and I both thoroughly enjoyed her meal, and I realized that it fit the formula that helped me lose and maintain my weight loss (that is until my sweet baby #2 came along, but I digress). 😉
Nights that we make Midnight Pasta usually aren’t planned; They usually happen spontaneously when we want a night off from meat and/or only have a few short minutes to whip something together (which feels like almost every night these days!)
It’s light, filling, and versatile depending on what veggies are on hand.
- 1 lb box of whole grain pasta (we prefer spaghetti or penne)
- 1 diced red pepper
- 1 diced large onion (white, yellow, or red work)
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- basil or parsley to garnish
- Boil water and begin cooking pasta.
- In medium-sized skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat and add minced garlic and onion. Cook until onion is fragrant and translucent (about 3-4 minutes.)
- Add red pepper to skillet and cook two minutes.
- Add handfuls of spinach and cook until spinach is wilted, stirring vegetables continuously. Set aside.
- Remove pasta from heat, drain, and return to pot. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and then add the skillet of vegetables.
- Add oregano, salt, and pepper. Combine well.
- Serve and garnish with basil or parsley.
Fun fact: I’ve read that this recipe originally got its name from chefs who claimed that after a day/night full of preparing fancy meals, all they had the energy to prepare for themselves once they got home was this quick but tasty meal.
Hi! I’m a proud Army wife and mom to two little girls (ages 1 and 4), and I love sharing our lives with you. I blog all about motherhood, our time in the military, our travels, our meals, my fitness journey, my fashion favorites, and so much more. I truly enjoy sharing it all! I can’t get enough of birthday cake ice cream, weekend sunrise runs, or making my girls belly-laugh. I write almost daily about my family’s lives, and though I like to keep things light, I also share the messy parts too. Welcome! So glad to have you around. I’m active on Facebook and Instagram and would love to communicate with you there!