Ooohhhh I love me a hot, savory breakfast casserole for so many reasons. Love, love, love it.
It’s purely accidental that I’ve have two breakfast recipes to share with you nearly back to back (remember last week’s pancakes from scratch?), but it’s not a coincidence. Jamie’s hours at work have been minimal since he got home, so we’ve been enjoying slower mornings and more hot breakfasts as a family.
This casserole is one of the recipes that Jamie, Sadie, and I can’t get enough of lately. (Hadley heard me call it a casserole one time, so she prefers to pass… but the girl just doesn’t know what she’s missin’.) This casserole is very “cream cheesy”, so if you’re like me and enjoy things baked with cream cheese, you’re going to enjoy adding this one to your rotation.
Breakfast casseroles are a total staple in this house when our friends and family come to town. (But why only when people come to town? I do not know.) They can be made the night before, and all I have to do is hop (err, drag) myself out of bed, preheat the oven, and then pop that baby in there to do its thing. Soon enough the aroma of it baking will permeate the house and send everybody to the kitchen with rumbling stomachs. Ah. Sitting around the table indulging in a hot breakfast casserole just kicks off the day with loved ones well, doesn’t it? Absolutely.
So here ya have it, folks. Sausage, egg, and cheese upon a flaky crescent crust made extra delicious by the spices and cream cheese. Mmm mmm mmm. This breakfast casserole will serves 12-15, but realistically you’d better plan for 12 because you’re going to have some guests waltzing back for seconds. 🙂
If you’re looking for something to pop in the oven as you wait for your loves to wake up on Christmas morning, make this it. It’s a goody! (I promise I wouldn’t share it with you otherwise!)
Sausage, Egg, and Cream Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 1 16oz package of Italian pork sausage
- 1 8oz package of crescent rolls
- 1 8oz bar of cream cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly grease 9x11" pan and cover bottom of the pan with crescent rolls.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fully cook sausage on large skillet.
- Cut cream cheese bar into cubes (roughly 8) and then cook with sausage, using a utensil to help melt and combine the cream cheese with sausage.
- Spread sausage mixture on top of crescent rolls.
- In separate bowl, whisk 8 eggs, and then whisk in two cups of milk.
- Pour egg mixture on top of sausage.
- Spread two cups of cheddar cheese atop eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes on 350 degrees.
- Enjoy immensely!